Group launches app to monitor manufacturers' environmental record (Focus Taiwan)
- An environmental group in Taiwan has launched a mobile app that allows consumers to check manufacturers' compliance with environmental laws, before purchasing their products.
- With the use of the app, consumers can scan the bar code on a product to find out if the manufacturer has a record of non-compliance with environmental laws, Tseng said.
- The app works by accessing a GCAA database of environmental violations by manufacturers across the country, she said, adding that the database was set up in 2017.
'We stuffed up': Coal miner admits to submitting wrong emissions data (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- One of NSW's major thermal coal miners has admitted it submitted inaccurate figures on the carbon emissions impact of its fuel in an environmental declaration to the state government.
- Similar mines – including two of its own – actually cause 30 times more emissions, or 2.4 tonnes of CO2 per tonne of coal.
- The company has provided a wide range of its estimated emissions for burning its coal - and all have been approved by the NSW government.
Republicans urge Trump to bar banks from shunning fossil fuel loans (Reuters)
- Democratic lawmakers like Senator Elizabeth Warren, who want an economic recovery featuring investments in conservation and alternative energy to fight climate change, have been calling on Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin to bar oil and gas companies from accessing loans through the Main Street facility.
- For years, environmental activists have pressured banks and financial firms to drop support of fossil fuel companies.
- Its global head of sustainable investing, Brian Deese, was a White House climate official under former President Barack Obama, a Democrat.
The EPA Introduced the First-Ever US Airplane Carbon Regulations (Gizmodo)
- This week, the Environmental Protection Agency proposed carbon dioxide standards for the airline industry.
- The standards would be the first time the federal government has ever regulated the airplane emissions.
- Lakewood’s organization has been pushing the EPA to implement an aircraft emissions reduction plan for over a decade.
The role of European policy for improving power plant fuel efficiency (Science Daily)
- A new study published in the Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists investigates the impact of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS), the largest international cap-and-trade system for greenhouse gas emissions in the world, on power plant fuel efficiency.
- In "The European Union Emissions Trading Scheme and Fuel Efficiency of Fossil Fuel Power Plants in Germany" author Robert Germeshausen studies German power plants and finds that a reduction in fuel use by fossil fuel power plants due to the introduction of the EU ETS translates into reductions in total annual carbon emissions of about 1.5 to 2 percent within the German power sector.
- To put this improvement into context, this decrease in fuel input on average is equivalent to a reduction of around four to six million tons in annual carbon emissions.
A Nearby Fracking Site Has These Retirees Sheltering in Place and Scared for Their Lives (Mother Jones)
- While many residents may have found ways to seek respite from these toxic emissions during normal times—whether it was working or going to school elsewhere, or simply moving in with friends and family during the most intense periods of activity—those options went out the window when state governors began announcing stay-at-home orders.
- The company did not respond to Grist’s detailed list of questions, but in legal filings and public testimony it has stated that the new technology it uses for flowback has been shown to keep emissions far below the levels associated with traditional techniques.
- In legal documents, Extraction claims it has gone above and beyond the best management practices required by its operating agreement with the city, including investing more than $250 million on a “Next Generation Flowback” system to reduce emissions during the two to three months flowback is expected to last.