Focus on Food Would Help Solve Climate Change, Says Study (Earth Institute)
- A paper released today by the journal Nature Food presents a new global food system approach to climate-change research that brings together agricultural production, supply chains and consumption.
- Food system responses thus could play a major role in both adapting to and mitigating climate change, the authors assert.
- The authors of the paper worked together on the Food Security chapter of the recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Special Report on Climate Change and Land.
Mobilizing funds to combat climate change: Lessons from the first replenishment of the Green Climate Fund (Brookings)
- Johannes Linn served as the global facilitator of the first replenishment of the Green Climate Fund.
- The Green Climate Fund (GCF) was set up by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 2010.
- It is the premier multilateral climate finance organization and represents a critical element in the compact between developed and developing countries to address climate mitigation and adaptation challenges in the developing world in support of the Paris Agreement.
Cuomo shifting worker salaries offline amid budget crunch (The NY Post)
- A prime example is Cuomo’s bid to transfer employee salaries from the Department of Environmental Conservation to the $300 million Environmental Protection Fund in the capital budget.
- Assembly Environmental Committee Chairman Steve Englebright (D-Suffolk) said that Cuomo shouldn’t pile the salaries there.
- “The Environmental Protection Fund has never been used for general operations of the agency.
Climate-neutral Europe: EU invests more than €100 million in new LIFE Programme projects (Modern Diplomacy)
- The European Commission today announced an investment of €101.2 million for the latest projects under the LIFE programme for the Environment and Climate Action.
- The funding will support 10 large-scale environment and climate projects in nine Member States, helping Europe’s transition to a sustainable economy and climate neutrality.
- Executive Vice-President of the European Commission Frans Timmermans said: “The European Green Deal is about improving the well-being and prosperity of our citizens, while protecting nature and the climate.
A Military Perspective on Climate Change Could Bridge the Gap Between Believers and Doubters (Nextgov)
- As experts warn that the world is running out of time to head off severe climate change, discussions of what the U.S. should do about it are split into opposing camps.
- The scientific-environmental perspective says global warming will cause the planet severe harm without action to slow fossil fuel burning.
- Those who reject mainstream climate science insist either that warming is not occurring or that it’s not clear human actions are driving it.
Ethiopia: Ethiopia to Introduce Green Court (AllAfrica News)
- The government is drafting a proclamation to establish a green tribunal, which will preside over administrative cases of environmental issues.
- A new proclamation, which is the first of its kind, was drafted by the Environment, Forest & Climate Change Commission during the past six months and has now been made available to stakeholders.
- The specialised federal administrative environmental tribunal will review cases that involve compensation, rehabilitation and bans among others.